The primary function of this position will perform professional level compliance and enforcement of Yerington Paiute Tribe tax laws; reviews financial records of numerous business entities holding Yerington Paiute Tribe business; verifies compliance with tax agreements; performs related work as assigned. Supervise Tax Revenue Clerk.Back to Job ListingsApply Now
Level 23-0 $23.84 to Level 25-0 $26.28 F/T 40hrs/wk
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Tax Department.
- Performs work in support of compliance and enforcement of Yerington Paiute Tribe tax ordinances and regulations.
- Conducts comprehensive and extensive research to determine existence of non-compliance with the Yerington Paiute Tribe tax codes and regulations.
- Obtains information by conferring with tribal, state, and federal agencies, auditors and accountants of the Yerington Paiute Tribe.
- Coordinate tax wording for all lease agreements in conjunction with EDD-YEC Yerington Paiute Tribe Council.
- Contacts taxpayers through correspondence, telephone calls and/or onsite visits in an effort to promote voluntary compliance; provides notification of noncompliance and taxes due.
- Verifies accuracy in taxpayer accounts, informs taxpayer of legal requirements, rules, regulations, procedures, and related tribal tax code compliances.
- Conducts investigations of complex tax violation/compliance situations.
- Reviews records for delinquencies or discrepancies and interviews business representatives to determine their understanding of liability and arranges payment schedules.
- Prepare annual tax department budget and TFUP budget and maintain as needed (i.e., budget modifications, revisions)
- Attends tax hearings and gives testimony regarding work performed and the basis of the assessment.
- Compiles spreadsheets, investigative notes and analysis which meet established standard policy requirements and procedures.
- Observes compares and reviews financial records of businesses to determine compliance with Yerington Paiute Tribe tax code and regulations.
- Attend all meetings relating to tax matters (i.e., tribal council, enterprise, federal, state etc.)
- Develop a Tax Commission to present recommendations to Tribal Council on taxes to be levied by the Tribe.
- Resolve and collect unpaid tax debts from individuals and businesses.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or closely related field and one (1) year of responsible experience in a private, public, or tribal taxation program or in an accounting or auditing program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Yerington Paiute Tribe, federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines governing aspects of tribal operations relative to tax auditing and accounting.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of governmental taxation, business, and industries subject to Yerington Paiute Tribe taxation laws and regulations and statutes.
- Knowledge of public relations/customer service principals, practices, and techniques.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records, reports, and files.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Utilize computer databases to research, maintain and update records and files
- Establish cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other MS Office applications.
- Excellent customer service skills and high regard for confidentiality.
- Good time management skills and must complete tasks assigned in a timely manner.
- Possess a valid Nevada Driver’s License and be insurable.
- Pass pre-employment drug screen and complete background investigation.
- Able to lift 40 lbs. or more.